I Want to Move



Move Process

Participants in HACH’s housing assistance programs can transfer their assistance from one rental unit to another. There are three steps to the move process: Intent to Vacate, Receiving the Voucher and Submitting the Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) packet.

Intent to Vacate

Prior to moving out of your current unit, you must serve a notice to the owner/landlord and to HACH.

  • You must serve a proper 30-day notice to the owner/landlord and provide HACH a copy. A proper notice must:
    • Be a written notice addressed to the owner or landlord,
    • Include the actual move-out date, and
    • Be signed by the tenant and landlord or
    • by downloading HACH's Intent to Vacate Form here
  • Your Housing Specialist will review the notice to confirm your eligibility to move.
  • You may not be eligible to move if you are still in a lease term, violated a family obligation, or owe HACH money.
  • If you need an extension on your move-out date, you must submit a written request using HACH's Intent to Vacate Form to your Housing Specialist prior to actual move-out date. This request must be signed and dated by both the owner/landlord and participant.

If the family remains in unit after the effective move-out date, the family may be responsible for paying the full contract rent to the owner.

Search GoSection8, CThousingsearch.org, Available Units and other rental listing websites for available units.

Receiving the Voucher

The voucher is the document which provides verification that you are receiving assistance and are eligible to move.

  • If you are eligible to move, you will receive your voucher and
  • The head of household will have to sign it and send it back a copy 
  • The voucher is issued for 60 days. If you do not return you voucher signed it will delay the processing of your move.

Submitting the Request for Tenancy Approval Packet

The RFTA packet is the document that advises HACH which unit you would like to rent.

  • When you receive your voucher, you will also receive your moving packet.
  • Once you find a unit you wish to rent, provide the packet to the owner or landlord of the property.
  • The owner/landlord will complete the packet and both the owner/landlord and tenant will sign the packet.
  • Once the RFTA packet is complete, it must be submitted to your caseworker.
  • Once the RFTA packet is received by HACH, a Housing Specialist will review the information.
  • Rent reasonableness will be determined and the owner/landlord will be contacted if necessary.
  • Upon approval of the RFTA packet, the New Contract Inspection of the unit will be scheduled.
Your caseworker will need all updated household information to complete your move. You can obtain instructions and documents to be completed for your move here.

You may only submit one RFTA packet at a time.

© 2018-2023 The Housing Authority of the City of Hartford

180 John D. Wardlaw Way Hartford, CT 06106 : Telephone 860-723-8400

Powered By Revize Login