Housing Choice Voucher

The Housing Authority of the City of Hartford Voucher ProgramHousing Choice Voucher 

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program is the federal government’s major program for assisting extremely-low and very-low-income families, the elderly and the disabled to afford decent, safe and sanitary housing in the private market. Since housing assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find their own housing, including single-family homes, townhomes and apartments. The participant is free to choose any housing in the private market that meets the requirements of the programs.

The Housing Authority of the City of Hartford (HACH) receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to administer the voucher program. A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family’s choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program. This unit may include the family’s present residence. Rental units must meet minimum standards of health and safety, as determined by the Housing Authority.  A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord directly by the Housing Authority on behalf of the participating family. The family then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

Additional Information on the Housing Choice Voucher program can be found at the HUD website.

HACH currently administers the following special programs: 
Family Unification Program:The Family Unification Program (FUP) is a program under which Housing Choice Vouchers (HCVs) are provided to two different populations:

  1. Families for whom the lack of adequate housing is a primary factor in:
    • The imminent placement of the family’s child or children in out-of-home care, or
    • The delay in the discharge of the child or children to the family from out-of-home care. 
    •  There is no time limitation on FUP family vouchers.
  2. For a period not to exceed 36 months, otherwise eligible youths who have attained at least 18 years and not more than 24 years of age and who have left foster care, or will leave foster care within 90 days, in accordance with a transition plan described in section 475(5)(H) of the Social Security Act, and is homeless or is at risk of becoming homeless at age 16 or older. 
Additional Information on the Mainstream Voucher program can be found at the HUD website.
HUD-VASHThe HUD-VASH program is administered to assist homeless veterans. We were allocated initially 50 vouchers in 2008 and has increased almost every year with a current allocation of 168 vouchers to date. 
Additional Information on the Mainstream Voucher program can be found at the HUD website or the Department of Veteran Affairs website.
MAINSTREAM VOUCHERSHACH was awarded 45 Mainstream vouchers in May 2019 and an additional 14 in 2020. These vouchers are specific to those families that are non-elderly disabled, homeless, at risk of homelessness, at risk of becoming institutionalized, or leaving an institution. 

Eligibility criteria:

If you are on HACH’s waiting list and believe you meet all the criteria above or if you have questions regarding this notice you may contact Shalon Davis at SDavis@hartfordhousing.org or (860) 723-8409

Additional Information on the Mainstream Voucher program can be found at the HUD website.
PROJECT BASED PROGRAMProject Based Vouchers are a component of HACH’s Housing Choice Voucher Program. Under the project based program, the HA enters into an assistance contract with the landlord for specified units and for a specified term. The HA refers families from the waiting list to the project landlord to fill vacancies.

Because the assistance is tied to the unit, a family who moves from the project based unit will not have any right for continued assistance. However, if a family chooses to move out of a project based unit after 12 months, then they may be eligible for a HCV as long as they are in good standing and funding is available. (in RTE, change title to I Have A change)